Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Update to My Previous Post-TetraMouse

All right! I admit it, I wasn't getting anywhere just wondering about whether TetraMouse could be used with my fingertips instead of my lips or tongue. I took a novel approach: I ASKED! Here is the reply:


To: Lisa Stapp
Subject: Re: Your Mouse MAY be the answer to my quest!

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for writing and thanks for your interest in the TetraMouse.

The TetraMouse can be operated with a finger and the optional cup-shaped knobs are ideal for fingertip operation as well as what they were originally designed for, i.e., using the tongue (for people with no head movement).

The dual joysticks on the TetraMouse are 1 inch apart. To operate the joysticks they need to be moved between approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch in all directions. Therefore, to use all the functions of the dual joysticks, the user needs to be able to move a finger (or tongue, or lips or chin) within a maximum rectangular area of approximately 1-1/4 inches wide (for side-to-side movement) and 1/4 inch high (for up and down movement) around the two joysticks. I don't know if that qualifies as "micro-movements", but it is not a large amount of movement. If the user can move a finger to any point within a rectangle 1-1/4 inches (32mm) wide by 1/4 inch (7mm) high, they should be able to move the pointer and access all the TetraMouse functions. A universal mounting system, like the TetraMouse Mounting System, can be used to position the TetraMouse for best use.

Re voice recognition: Many of my customers use the TetraMouse to supplement their use of Dragon Naturally Speaking. Because the TetraMouse is a true mouse (the computer sees it as a standard USB mouse), it is compatible with any computer applications, just like any other true mouse. No software or drivers need to be installed because the TetraMouse uses the computer's mouse driver that comes with the operating system. Therefore, there are no software conflicts with any applications.

Although I originally designed the first TetraMouse model for a friend with ALS, it is now used by many people with many various conditions that don't allow them to use their hands.

If you haven't already, be sure to read about the money-back guarantee and lifetime warranty that comes with the TetraMouse on the page at http://tetramouse.com/support.html.

Thanks for the mention on your Pinterest board!

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark Snyder
TetraLite Products
2200 NE 88th St Spc 11A
Seattle WA 98115-8308
USA
1-206-362-3139
www.tetramouse.com
On 6/14/2014 12:48 PM, Lisa Stapp wrote:

Happy Monday!

I wonder if your mouse is the answer to my quest. I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which is related to the ALS that you designed for. Currently, I am using Windows 8.1 and Dragon NaturallySpeaking to get around.

It works reasonably well, except that all speech recognition "gets stuck." When that happens, I'm stuck until someone can come around and help me out of the situation.

So… I decided to find or build a mouse that I can use. (By "build," I mean, "find someone to be my fingers and help me create this thing that I have in my head…" TetraMouse looks pretty close to the concept between my ears, and may be what I'm looking for.

Question: Do I have to use mouth, lips, or chin with this tool? How does that work when using voice recognition? Can I use fingertip micro-movements?

I invited you to look at my Pinterest board dedicated to my quest… Follow Lisa's board My Quest to find a mouse that I can actually USE! on Pinterest.





73 de Lisa S. KE5RSA
Skype: lmstapp or 281-378-3225
SMS: (281) 406-1749 | Fax: 866-256-1731
http://lmstapp.com/
      (Shaping words for work and play…)
http://joyfullyrollingalong.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ConfessionalGal
*******************************************
"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any
human accomplishment and incredible miracle," Col. John Paul Stapp
*******************************************
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment