Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How do You Organize Yourself?

Happy Wednesday!  I am so behind today, that I don't know if I will ever catch up.  I'm going to Bible Study later, though.  Maybe if I didn't finish it, it wasn't worth doing.

;-) That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

It does have me wondering how to keep myself on track, though.  I am considering several options, some I've used off and on over the last few years.  For example:

  • Pomodoro Technique  -  I like this.  Sometimes I have the attention span of a gerbil who drank too much caffeine.  Breaking a task into small, focused efforts helps me tackle those jobs that look overwhelming.  To do it right, though, took me a lot of paperwork.  I DO NOT NEED MORE PAPERWORK in my universe!
  • Kanbanflow  -  I like this.  I think the idea is originally from Japan and was used by auto workers.  Minimal paperwork.  You can drag each item in your ToDo into different columns, depending on your level of the completion.  This is not particularly good for recurring jobs.
  • Chains  -  I just started with this one today.  I think that this idea came from Jerry Seinfeld.  It takes 60 days (depending on who you talk to) to establish a habit.  He, apparently, would mark on a calendar each day that he did the desired behavior.  The goal was to create the chain of 60 days without forgetting.  This website lets you tackle several chains at once, and have built-in "skip days." This is perfect for the type of things that you want to do every Tuesday-Thursday, or whatever.  It looks good.

Criteria I used for choosing these techniques are: 1.  Not cell phone based.  I have to be able to use the computer.  2.  Free.  Maybe when I'm making 100,000 a year, I'll budget for this kind of thing.  Until then…  3.  Fairly simple and quick to do.

How do you organize yourself?

How did you choose this method?

How well does it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment