Saturday, February 22, 2014

I suspect that the book is better

In 1972, SOUNDER came out. It probably comes as little surprise to find out that I did not see it in the theater. ;-) Even back then, I made it a point to see movies at least once every seven years or so.

Anyhow, I saw it a few years later. Some of it is incredibly powerful and emotionally rich. Still, I was a little disappointed. It felt like something was missing.

SOUNDER was on TCM this afternoon. I decided to tape it and watch it again. After all, the first time I saw the movie, commercials were embedded.

Besides, I was young and shallow back then. It was entirely possible that the things that everyone else saw in the movie would mean more to me now.

I am still not as impressed as I want to be with it. I suspect that the book is better. There are jumps in the movie that just don't make sense. Pieces are missing. Peoples' motivations aren't there. We just don't see a three dimensional universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment