Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My year of writing…

Most of my friends have heard me talk about National Novel Writing Month, and its spinoffs.  I have attempted it for several years, and technically won it this year.  The problem is that my grand opus is utterly worthless.  No, I'm not just saying that.  The novel that Johnny wrote in the movie, "The Shining" was better.  If I had randomly repeated letters, it would have been just as good.

BUT…  I still in the kernel of an idea that I want to attempt to do justice to.  I just know that 50,000 words in a month does not work for me.  Not in November.  Not in July or August for Camp Nano.

I found something that might provide a different framework.  It's an attempt to write a novel within a year. WriYe seems to allow a good kind of flexibility.  For example, in the able to begin my goals at a lower level and move up.  I'm starting at 50,000 for the year.  If that looks like it's too easy to reach, I can modify it.  If I get cocky and decide that I can do 250,000 words per year, after I attempt it and realize that I'm just being ridiculous, I can modify my goal at any time.

I don't have to adjust the finishing the first draft of the novel.  Novel planning counts towards the goal.  Short stories count.  Nonfiction books and articles count.

Blogging does not count, which is probably a good idea.

 

I will let you know how it works for me…

No comments:

Post a Comment