Wednesday, January 1, 2014

500-ish Words

I admit it, I procrastinate.  I allow myself to get distracted, and distract myself with stuff I don't need to do.  It is time to cut down on that…

One thing that I claim that I want to do is WRITE.  I have mastered reading about writing.  I can talk about writing with the best of them.  I can watch the video is about writing and read books about writing.

None of that is WRITING!

I intended to write every day…  Even planned to do it.  Planning isn't enough!

I found Holly Lisle's writer information, and have taken several online workshops.  (Never finished with them, I just took them.) One of these was how to tightly-crafted, 500 word stories.  "Flash Fiction" seemed to be perfect for a procrastinator, but I never seemed to get around to actually WRITING.

Then I found WRITING.COM and read their "Flash Fiction" challenge.  They only aim for 300 words, but by now I've come to realize that these kind of web sites do not really work for me.  They help me read about and talk (via text and forums) about writing, but they don't really help me write.  Today, I removed my membership from this website.

Today, this <http://goinswriter.com/my500words/> came in my e-mail.  It is not QUITE a fit for me, but it does not have all sorts of distractions attached.

I've come up with what I want to do:

  • On this website…
  • I intend to write…
  • Between 300-700 words…
  • At least four days per week…
  • For at least 50 weeks during 2014.

Some of the postings will be likes this one: grandiose ramblings about what I intend to do.  Some of the postings will probably be FLASH FICTION, in fact…  Most of the postings will be stories like this.  I may talk about what I'm learning in my bible readings or research for another book.

I don't intend to stop here, though.  This is my warm-up for my other writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment