Thursday, January 2, 2014

Another goal to be accomplished… ATTENDANT SEARCH

Those who have known me for any length of time know that I require help with the physical aspects of daily living.  Yes, I am another person who uses attendant care.
Whether they are called "PCAs," or "Nurses Aides", "Attendants", or simply "helpers" -these folks (the good ones) deserve the name "HEROES!" They are often paid by the state, minimum wage.  They do unpleasant tasks at inconvenient hours.  They place themselves at the beck and call as another human being.
For the past seven years, my morning helper has been Kathy.  In her previous jobs, she has been office manager at several places, and sound man for a band in the eighties.  She is normally the last person who would have applied.
But…
Health issues, and the emotional side effects hit her family.  She needed something different for a few months, and I was that difference.  I helped her.  She helped me.  Our friendship keeps deepening…  She is my other sister from another mother and father.  Her family is part of my extended family.
Logic would have dictated that she would as moved on several years ago.  She easily could have gone back to her normal and successful world…  But she cared.
She's still cares!
But…  She has given me her 30 day notice.  It's time to begin looking for…  Not a replacement.  A new beginning.  So…
Caregiver needed in Spring (near Cypresswood and I-45) Caregiver needed in Spring (near Cypresswood and I-45)
area for quadriplegic woman.  Part-time: 7:30-11:30 AM, M-F.
Must be 18, have valid Texas Drivers License (or ID), and pass a
background check.  No experience necessary.  Personal care,
food preparation, and other assistance as needed. To apply,
e-mail to: lisastapp82@yahoo.com

Hello, I am Lisa.  I consider myself reasonably intelligent, quirky, joyful, and kind.  So far, I have earned 55-or-so years on planet earth.  Physically, I am limited.  I can wiggle my thumbs and talk.  I tend to get cold easily, probably because I don't move around a lot.  My breathing isn't what I wish it was – I have a tracheostomy to remove excessive mucus.

I just don't know that I have a disability.  I earned my B.A. in Psychology and my M.A. in Deaconess Studies.  (That is a theological degree for women within my church body.  It combines elements of a theologian, teacher, social worker… and a partridge in a pear tree.)

Currently, I am an adjunct instructor at Concordia University, Nebraska.  I teach Ethics in an online format.  I'm also working on that upcoming book, "God's Own Child: Even With Spinal Muscular Atrophy."

I'm not nearly as fragile as I seem.  I do need to remember though, I'm not nearly as tough as I think I am!



No comments:

Post a Comment